Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sunday drive


First of all, let me say I fully accept the fact (and it is a fact) I have never been a good driver. And most of you probably cringe when you hear they are letting me drive in Australia, on the other side of the road. So you might agree when I declare today a success -- I drove myself out to a suburb and was honked at zero times. That is a first. (Or maybe the drivers in Brisbane were just feeling a little relaxed on a Sunday.) Also, I turned my window wipers on exactly zero times. (Wipers and turn signal are on the opposite sides, which is a major source of frustration for me. You might also recall I have difficulties with the whole right/left relationship -- probably a major cause and linked to the bad driving in the first place.)

My good luck continued at the grocery store where I was able to secure Drew a 24-case of Coke for only $16. (Previous attempts had us shelling out $23, and at an exchange rate of .97 you get why we miss our 3/$10 12-pack soda at home. If anyone would like to recommend a good read on world economics, I would welcome it. This also might stop me from going on and on about prices on this blog.)

Jackson, Drew and I spent the later afternoon in the park, "diggers" in tow. These actually work quite well for attracting kids, and today we found ourselves right in the middle of an Aussie family & friend reunion of sorts. Jackson had a blast, and true to his personality did not cry one bit when he was taken down by Oliver, another two year-old who wasn't quite sure about Jackson playing with his soccer ball. We did add a soccer ball to Jackson's toy accumulation Saturday, so next time we'll just have to remember to add it to the growing list of things essential to any playground outing.

It was, a good Sunday.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Drew and Kate!

It was great to read your blogs thus far.....imagine being an Australian moving to the USA 15 years ago and marvelling at how CHEAP soda was!!! Not cool to do it in reverse though. We are thinking of you and hope that you are settling in nicely. We hope that the sunshine, great seafood (definitely try a Mortan Bay Bug for us!), and Cadbury's chocolate make up for the steep soda prices.

Things are good for us in Chicago. Brian received fun news yesterday that he made it into the last stage of the prestigious Second City conservatory! So he has a show every 8 weeks for the next 5 months.

I have finals in a week and am then looking forward to a week of spring break!

Hugs to all, and best of luck with the new baby! My vote is for a girl!!

Felicity

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought you might drive like your father, Kate! He drives by quite often! (Just kidding!) Hey, it will keep the Aussies on their toes when they see Kate at the wheel. ;))
Just letting you know, we think of you often and hope everything continues to go well in your home hunt. Isn't it wonderful how children adapt? Take care and we'll catch you later.......The Carpenters (Get it?)(Sherri e-mailed this site to me this morning)

Anonymous said...

Drew, Kate, and Jackson,

Its good to hear that you are settling in to the Aussie lifestyle. I wouldn't expect anything less from Jackson in the social department! I hope you are feeling well, and enjoying the remainder of summer. This blog is a great idea, and I'll check back often. Take care, guys.

-Nathan

Anonymous said...

Kate, Drew and Jackson,

Thanks for the heads-up about your blog. It was great to catch up on what's happened since you made the big move. Kate, we've heard some details from your mom, dad and Grandma Hodel, but still enjoyed all the extras in the blog. It sounds like you and Jackson are spending some quality time together, and I say bless his little heart for being such a good companion to you on this great adventure! Can't wait to start seeing some pictures. Take care and keep those blogs coming--at least until the baby arrives.

Love,
Rick and Cindy

Unknown said...

Kate Drew & Jackson-

It is so good to hear you are getting settled in. We've been thinking about you all and are hoping things are going well. I've never blogged before, so you will be my first attempt. I'm not really sure what we're supposed to say, but if one needs to have some random thoughts, I oughta be a genius at this! ha! We are busy working on the remodel at home and getting ready for a trip to Universal Studios. Tristan is ready to go!

I went backwards and read your blog and laughed that you self-describe as a bad driver. We surely have a lot in common if that's really the case. In fact, we had a birthday party for Tristan on Friday night (33 kindergarteners attended) and Saturday he proceeded to throw up in (and on/all over) my car on the way home from Krogers- and he then proceeds to tell me my driving made him sick... I think too much excitement for one weekend- but it's all a matter of opinion, I guess. Suffice it to say the car is getting detailed Monday a.m.

Sounds like you have some nice play spaces and parks in Australia. We're looking forward to seeing some pictures and keeping in touch. We hope we can come over for a visit sometime in the next few years. Take care and we'll visit your site often.

Michelle, Matt & Tristan Parker

Anonymous said...

Hi Drew and Kate-

What a great idea to blog! I was really nice to read all the stories. It sounds like you guys are settling in and finding your way around. I hope everything goes smooth with the house.

Sara

Leisa said...

Hey Parkers!

So happy to get your link- we're going to have to do this pretty soon too! We miss you guys- but are so excited to hear about all your adventures!

Luke & Leisa

Anonymous said...

I've purchased a map of Brisbane and Australia, so I'm waiting to get the information on where you are going to live. It seems my family hate it when I read maps all the time, but I love to have a visual. Your blog is wonderful -- can you make a web page so that you can show pics, or can you get pics on a 'blog'. I think I recall seeing 'blogs' on television -- but most of those were half-nude people!!! I'm like Michele -- never 'blogged' before. But I'm up for anything new!!!

Will be addressing envelopes for the wedding next week in Morton. I know Sherri is really looking forward to her trip.

Kisses to little Jackson -- and love to you both. I know you will love Australia. I've only heard good things about it!

Aunt Gigi