Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Buddha Junior

When Drew was about Jackson's age, his parents used to take him to Godfather's Pizza where as legend has it, he would eat piece after adult-sized piece of the chain's pie. In amazement, his parents gave him the nickname 'Buddha Belly,' since as you can imagine all of this pizza consumption made his little belly stick out quite roundly.

Fast-forward 28 or so years to tonight, and I think Jackson could have given his old dad a run for his money. After our first Australian haircuts (I think Jackson puts haircuts on the level of Chinese water torture or something), Jackson and I found ourselves exhausted from fighting one another and the dear hairdresser (him). So we dropped into Pancho's Pizza (Godfather and Pancho Villa, ironic don't you think?) -- a pizza dive we had been to this past weekend with some friends and their son. I knew Jackson could use a good meal. (Drew and Grandma Parker would absolutely kill me if they knew how many butter sandwiches he has been eating lately, and now I realize they do know. Sorry guys!)

To give you some context (aside from the butter sandwich comment) the kid is strictly vegetarian (minus turkey from Subway) and in general very picky about anything not of the fruit and vegetable group. So I was hugely impressed tonight when he ate a good three-fourths of a small pizza all by himself. I mean to say there were eight pieces, and we took home only two. So my fraction is probably off, but you get the point.

I should also mention he performed this feat with no shirt on (his was 'itchy' from the haircut, and I figured if people here can walk around with no shoes on then who the hell cares if my son isn't wearing a shirt?). Also, we were sitting at a table for six (chosen by Jackson) even though we were only two people.

Now the only thing left to determine is whether Jackson can top his mom at polishing off massive amounts of wedding cake icing. Guess we'll have to put this to the test at his Aunt Kristen's wedding this August. If I were you -- even after knowledge of Jackson's pizza eating abilities -- I'd put your money on me. I'm just saying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a challenge! I say I can give you both a run for your money in an icing eating contest. Love you, Meg

Anonymous said...

I'd say it's a toss-up. I've seen Jackson eat the icing and leave the cake many a time ... as his mom and Aunt Meg have been doing forever! This could be quite the contest! love, Mom S.

Anonymous said...

The legend is true, Kate! We have witnessed Drew as a little one eating pizza until his stomach looked like it would explode! Go Jackson! ;)) So happy to hear you are settling in to "down under."
Peace, K and M

Anonymous said...

We can agree heartily with the Godfather Pizza story. Dale swears he had an upset stomach when we left Godfather's Pizza - just watching Drew eat all that pizza!! We figured he would probably be 7 feet tall and weigh 500 pounds if he kept eating like that!!! I guess we were close on the height, at least (hah)!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Drew. Aunt Gigi