Friday, September 18, 2009

Swim 24/7




















For the past four weeks Jackson, Maeve and I have been committed to swimming 24/7. Actually, it has been 30/4 -- thirty minutes, for days a week. But since the facility was 20 minutes away, it took a good two hours of our day roundtrip each day (lots of phone time in the car for me!). 

"Is today my day to swim?" Jackson would ask each day as Maeve went down for her nap; he knew what followed. On Monday & Wednesdays he had class; on Tuesdays & Thursdays it was Maeve's turn. We had to do it this way because they were both in mommy & me classes since Jackson is not yet four. Luckily, the facility had a 'kidzone' where they took turns playing. Until Jackson decided it would be a better idea for him to watch Maeve's class by the "side" of the pool. So how did he end up soaked each time? He did love playing big brother -- "Now Maeve needs a life jacket. I will put it on." "Now Maeve needs to go get this fish. I will throw it in." He even gave her a hug and kiss when her little teeth would start chattering. 

Our effort was matched with reward. Jackson advanced to the next level despite not being quite four; he is now a Goldfish.  He loved his time in the water and loved his sweet teacher. Jackson was jumping off the side, grabbing rings under water, bobbing up and down, and splashing lots. Huge progress since our days refusing to get in the water in Brisbane. We are so proud of him for trying new things and so excited he loves the water. We can be pool rats next summer!

Maeve's class was a little more relaxed; her teacher A LOT more laissez faire. A few songs at the beginning of class and then 25 minutes of 'exploration.' The teacher's comment on Maeve's certificate says it all: "Maeve clearly loves the water, and I think will be swimming by herself in no time!" Maeve did do great -- going under water, giggling through the group songs, floating on her back -- but if she is swimming by herself in no time, she had better be the next Darrah Torres. 

Even I made progress -- I came dressed in a swimsuit to every class all four weeks. I couldn't slip up because the "oh, she's from America" excuse would never work here. (By the way, the fact I am calling this progress is a little suspect.)

We have a one-week break before the next session starts. But I have a feeling I am going to be hearing "when is it my turn to swim?" long before then. Music to my ears.

No comments: